Chicken and Cornmeal Waffles Crispy Baked Chicken Strips
Cyn Robinson is a Mississippi gal now living in Georgia. She knows her southern dishes! Especially Southern specializes in all things southern cuisine and brings all her recipes to life at especiallysoutherndishes.com. Follow her on Instagram @especiallysouthern. “Food is life and life is what you eat and with whom you eat it… this is the foundation of Especially Southern Dishes.” -Cyn Robinson
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups yellow Palmetto Farms cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Crispy Baked Chicken Strips
- Cooking spray or 4 tablespoons of melted butter for waffle iron; optional
- 2 ½ cups panko crumbs
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter or 1 tablespoon canola oil or ghee
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard or dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufactures instructions.
- In a large-mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and sea salt together. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl or large measuring cup, combine milk, eggs, melted butter, honey and extract.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry, whisking until smooth and combined.
- Spray or brush your waffle iron grates with oil or butter.
- Add the specified amount of batter to your waffle iron per manufactures directions; I use about 1/3 cup of batter.
- Cook to your desired doneness.
- Serve waffles immediately.
Crispy Baked Chicken Strips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and place a cooking rack on top sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter or heat oil of choice and add the panko crumbs, stirring often until golden brown about 3-5 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, add the toasted panko crumbs and breadcrumbs; tossing to combine.
- In medium bowl whisk flour, eggs, mayonnaise, hot sauce, mustard, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Add the chicken to the batter, making sure to get a good coat.
- Allow the excess batter to drip from the chicken and place the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture; patting the crumbs into the chicken. Transfer the coated chicken to the prepared baking tray and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with cooking spray and bake for 25-35 minutes depending on thickness.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with favorite sauce or side.