From our grandmother, Hilda Dorman. A family favorite featured in our own family cookbook. This classic Shrimp & Grits recipe can be found on the back every grits bag we produce here at Palmetto Farms.
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ tsp salt ((more to taste))
- ¾ cup Palmetto Farms Grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
FOR SHRIMP TOPPING
- 1 cup diced bacon + 2 tbsp. fat
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 lb medium peeled shrimp
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- Grated cheese for garnish
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Bring chicken broth and milk to boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in grits and salt, return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese. Keep warm.
FOR SHRIMP TOPPING:
- Cook diced bacon in pan until crisp. Remove bacon and drain all but 2 tbsp. of fat. Add peppers and onions to pan. Cook until tender. Add cleaned shrimp and cook until pink. Return bacon to pan. Stir in hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Serve shrimp mixture over warm grits. Garnish with green onions and cheese.