Cyn Robinson is a Mississippi gal now living in Georgia. She knows her southern dishes! Especially Southern specializes in all things southern cuisine and brings all her recipes to life at especiallysoutherndishes.com. Follow her on Instagram @especiallysouthern. “Food is life and life is what you eat and with whom you eat it… this is the foundation of Especially Southern Dishes.” -Cyn Robinson
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups Palmetto Farms cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter ((if using unsalted increase the salt to ½ teaspoon))
- 2 large eggs
- Butter or neutral oil ((ghee, canola, grapeseed or vegetable oil) for pan frying)
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Whisk in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup warm milk, butter and eggs until combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture in with dry ingredients and whisk until combined and smooth.
Heat cast iron griddle or skillet over medium heat with a few pats of butter or brush with oil.
Using a ¼ measuring cup ladle the batter in a circular motion.
Cook for 2 minutes or until lightly golden on each side.
Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with butter and/or warm maple syrup or honey.